Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bound Beauty by Mick Takeuchi

Title: Bound Beauty
Mangaka: Mick Takeuchi
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 5
My Rating: 5/5

Japan has many legends and superstitions that goes way back in time. One of them is two fated lovers are bounded together with an invisible red thread. Of course, who would believe that? But Chiyako Chiko (can't help but say this is a bad name combination) can actually see these threads! It all started when she was caught in the middle of a fire many years ago. She was rescued by a mysterious boy, who was the first person she saw the red thread of.

Now in high school, Chiyako uses her ability as a matchmaker to earn money. With family complications, she wishes to make enough to move out of the house. All is well until three handsome men called the Tyers come into her life. They have the same ability as her, to see these invisible threads. Except there are more than just the red threads of love, there are hundreds of different kinds! From threads of hatred to threads of family, there are more than Chiyako can count!

Accidentally, she falls into a room that belongs to one of the legendary five coloured threads. As a chosen "tyer" (a person with the power to tie the strings of fate of others but in return looses the thing they want most), Chiyako's body reverts into a little kid! The only time she can return to normal is when she brings out her power. Once she no longer uses it, she becomes a child again! Will she be able return to her original form? Or will she be stuck like this forever?

This is my new favourite manga series! I love the characters' personalities and plot! In the beginning, Chiyako talks a bit about wishing to become an independent adult. She doesn't get along with father and I want to know why. All of the characters have their own little secret which I hope the mangaka will reveal later on in the series. This manga also includes comedy to balance out the serious parts. So far, there isn't much romance but Chiyako has a crush on one of the Tyers who is also her sensei (teacher). I am crossing my fingers that she will develop a further relationship with Hirotsuna Tachibana (the male in the picture above). Hopefully they will end up with each other! I will await for the second release on this series! There are a couple of other series by Mick that I wish to look into; one of them is called Her Majesty's Dog. I think all manga fans should take a look at this new series!

Review copy provided by Go! Comi.

post signature

No comments: