Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hoshin Engi by Ryu Fujisaki

Title: Hoshin Engi
Mangaka: Ryu Fujisaki
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 23
My Rating: 5/5

Thousands of years ago in the Yin Dynasty of China is where this magical story unfolds. Dakki is a beautiful and wicked fox demon who married the emperor, King Chu. The king was once a honest ruler, until she comes along and controls him. Using him as her puppet, Dakki rules the country in darkness.

If this charming demon is in power any further, the human world would collapse! So the Hoshin Project is put out to play. Taikobo is set out to rid Dakki and her evil minions as the chosen one. Taking along his ride, a flying hippo by the name of Supushan, they set off to their dangerous mission. Along the way, they encounter new allies and strange enemies. Would Taikobo get to Dakki before she gets him?

This is one of the most original manga yet. It is actually based on a story that is written during the 1500s by Xu Zhonglin in China. "The Creation of the Gods" is one of the four famous classics of the time! Isn't that amazing? To have your story known, more than half a century later! There is a mix of comedy, magic, and action in Hoshin Engi. It is a great read but the terms that are used can be quite confusing. In the story, most of the characters have "ranks" of some kind. Even after owning the complete anime set (Soul Hunter is the English name of it) and reading the first few volumes, I still don't get who is who asides the important roles. Then again, I'm sure it is just me so most people should not have a problem figuring it out! Hoshin Engi is a great manga. Something very different than your typical ones, everyone should give it a try!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...


Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post! It's the little changes that will make the most significant changes. Thanks for sharing!