Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Ultimate Venus by Takako Shigematsu

Title: Ultimate Venus
Mangaka: Takako Shigematsu
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 4
My Rating: 3.5/5

Yuzu Yamashita has recently became an orphan when her mother passed away. The landlady also kicks her out of her apartment, making her a homeless teenager. Afraid to burden her neighbour, Yuzu decides to sleep in the playground Life is already drastic as it is until a handsome man named Hassaku comes along and tells her that her grandmother is looking for her!

Yuzu wonders what kind of person her grandmother is as this is the first time she will be meeting her. Arriving to a castle beyond her wildest dreams, she finds out her grandmother is the president of the Shirayuki Group! (Not to mention she is so stylish and young!) Yuzu is forced into a world of wealth and power as she may become the heir of the family's company! With so many competitive relatives who wants her position, they will do whatever they can to get rid of her. Will Yuzu be able to handle the dangers that lie ahead?

What I dislike about this story is the clique plot. The main character (usually a girl) becomes an orphan and then finds out that the family s/he never knew is rich beyond belief! With newfound power and money, the character has to overcome the obstacles of transisting from a poor person to a wealthy one. I find this a bit boring because there are so many mangas out there with a similar plotline. There is nothing that stands out for me to entice me to go onto the second volume. Yuzu basically keeps running into trouble and there is someone who is always at her rescue. Overall, the manga is alright and the artwork is pretty with the shojo feel to it. If you don't mind this kind of plot, you may enjoy Ultimate Venus.

Review copy provided by Go! Comi.

post signature

No comments: