Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Watching on Wednesday: Naruto (Volume 30)

First of all, I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year of 2009! My plans are to finish re-reading the amazing manga series, MeruPuri, for tonight. I did so last year and it is the perfect way to end off the year as a manga fanatic! (I promise myself to do it as a tradition every year just before the New Year! Well, that is if I don't have any other plans like now...) I just completed up to volume 3 and realized that I read it too fast before it can have that "special" effect on me like it did before. So after this review and a couple of other things, I will go and take in volume 4 slowly so I can bawl my eyes out at the end. Yeah, I'm such an emotional girl... I just have to cry every time on New Years... Anyway, onward with the review and bless you with a great year ahead!

Title:
Naruto (Volume 30)
Type: Show
Age Group: Teens
Release Year: 2008
My Rating: 4.5/5

Now it is down to the battles with Kiba, Shikamaru, and Naruto. Each of them are fighting a sound ninja on their own in separate locations, trying to defeat their enemy.

Kiba and his pup, Akamaru, have to deal with the twins, Sakon and Ukon. With abilities to merge into other peoples' bodies, Kiba is at a disadvantage when one of them decided to take over his. How to get rid of the enemy when they are now part of you?

Shikamaru is outnumbered when Tayuya brings out her three giant puppets. She controls them with her flute, promising that he will never live to hear to the end of the song. As Shikamaru dodges the violent attacks, he tries to figure out how to get out of this mess.

In the meantime, Naruto brings out his clones by hundreds as he try to beat down Kimimaro. Kimimaro reveals one of his special ability: to use his own bone as a weapon! Right after, Sasuke emerges from his coffin! Naruto tries to convince him to come back but he ran away laughing like a mad man! What had gotten into him? Rock Lee makes a grand entrance as he try to stall Kimimaro so Naruto can chase after Sasuke. During their battle, Rock Lee pauses to take a sip of his "medication" when in reality he accidentally took Tsunade's elixir! Guy fears for Rock Lee's wellbeing when he finds out because the drink brings out a completely different side of him! Will he be able to beat Kimimaro now that the elixir may have tipped the scale?

I have to say, this volume was not so bad! I actually enjoyed most of it! Especially at the end when Rock Lee came along. He balanced out the seriousness that held on for more than ten episodes with his humourous stunts. It was getting good when the whole thing ended! I swear to god I was ready to smash the new TV in my grandmother's room at that point! This time I really do want to continue watching the show to see the outcome of the fights. Like before, there were some random flashbacks but they weren't as bad as before. It gives you a bit more background information on the characters instead of showing random clippings of an old episode. Naruto fans would not be so disappointed with The Beast Within!

Review copy provided by Viz.

post signature

4 comments:

Liviania said...

Tsunade's "elixir" being the bowdlerisation of Tsunade's sake. Lee, the totally awesome drunken master! ^_^

Diana Dang said...

You've seen that part? XD I was commenting on how Kimimaro actually let the guy take his meds. When you are in a battle, you don't pause for people to take their meds!

Liviania said...

Yeah. I haven't watched in a couple of (months? - I catch up in blocks so that I don't have to wait for a battle to end) but I watch the fansubs then buy the boxed sets. So yeah, seen it all. ^_^ You're edging pretty close to the FILLER OF DOOM.

Diana Dang said...

I'm amazed that you can remember all that! I left it off for a couple of years so yeah... I'm so behind! ;w;

The filler is bad? XD