Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, January 2, 2009

07-Ghost by Yuki Amemiya & Yukino Ichihara

Title: 07-Ghost
Mangaka: Yuki Amemiya & Yukino Ichihara
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 7
My Rating: 3.5/5

Teito Klein is a prized student at the Barsburg Empire Military Academy with a forgotten past. With a history of being a slave and orphan, he is very independent besides having his only best friend, Mikage, to support him.

After an exam of magical combat, Teito passed by a room to hear he was being praised about. Then he heard that he was a potential candidate for something called the Eye of Mikhail. Teito's head started to hurt as locked up memories flooded in like a hurricane. Seeing the man who killed his father right in front of him, he charged to attack without any second thoughts. This immediately made him an enemy and was ready to be executed.

Mikage came to the rescue but was captured in Teito's stead. Teito was saved when he fell unconcious during his escape by three strange priests. He was brought back to a church in another district where he was safe for the time being. There he learned about an evil god and the seven legendary ghosts. He also learned a dark secret that would change his life forever...

The terminology of the story is a bit confusing. Since the setting is in a fantasy world, everything is different. So there would be a made up history and so on. I don't think the mangakas have explained the setting well enough for me to understand the whole story. But the reader can grasp the basics of what is going on. I have a doubt that it would be easier to understand in the later volumes. There are times where I get a bit lost with what is happening since the mangakas want the reader to piece everything together on their own. I see there are small hints of it being a potential shonen-ai (light boys' love) story since there are no core female characters yet in the first volume. Overall it is a very consisting manga but the storyline does not enthrall me to check out the second volume.

Review copy provided by Go! Comi.

post signature

No comments: