Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Song of the Hanging Sky by Toriko Gin

Title: Song of the Hanging Sky
Mangaka: Toriko Gin
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 2
My Rating: 4.5/5

Jack once worked in the military as a doctor during the war. Now he lives alone with his dog, Gustave, out near the mountains. During a huge blizzard, he finds a young boy out cold. The doctor immediately brings back to safety and warmth. When the child wakes up, he feels threatened. Jack soon realizes that he is not human!

The boy is from an endangered race of winged people. Their number is decreasing rapidly and soon enough, the Day of Destruction would come to wipe out their existence! With the war coming closer to the mountains, the terrible fated day approaches also. Will Hello and his people escape the prophecy? Is there anything Jack can do to protect them?

I think the character designs are quite intriguing. The winged characters are all based off of the Aboriginal people and their traditions. They live a nomad life in fur tents and their clothing are all hand-made from what is found in nature. Not only that but each winged person's hairstyle is based off a different breed of bird. I find it quite creative and fun to observe.

The story takes on a very steady approach and gradually unravel itself as you continue reading on. In the second volume, it gets dark when it takes a slip back into the past of this unknown and isolated race. It builds up suspense, making you itch to see what is next. Song of the Hanging Sky is a beautifully woven story of innocence and sorrow that you would like to snuggle up with by a fireplace.

Review copy provided by Go! Comi.

post signature

No comments: