Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sucks to Be Me by Kimberly Pauley

Title: Sucks to Be Me
Author: Kimberly Pauley
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 293
My Rating: 5/5

All teenagers have to make decisions that will affect their life later down the road. Especially at the age where one is about to graduate. The future is quite a scary thing. Which university to go to? What career to pursue? Well, Mina Hamilton is like any other girl out there who worries about what to wear to prom and so on. But, she needs to make a decision that will impact her for eternity... To become a vampire or not become a vampire?

What!? Yes, yes. We all know they don't exist and they are the creatures of our imagination... Except in Mina's case, they are real! Cause she's living with two of them!

All of her life, teenage Mina have been dealing with the fact that her parents are vampires. It didn't affect her so much, until now. A vampire saw her when he came around to collect her parents' taxes and reported to the Northwest Regional Vampire Council. Being forced to take vampire classes, Mina struggles to choose between her current lifestyle and her family. To be alive or be undead. Throw in some cute boys and this teen is overloaded with things to think about!

This is the first novel that I saw advertised online and knew right away that I needed to read it. The title popped out at me. It made me curious and with an adorable cover like so, I went to read the excerpt. That hooked me on instantly. I finally got my hands on it when my Secret Santa gave it to me as a gift. It has been awhile since I had so many giggles while reading a book. I adore Mina's sense of humour and she seems like an awesome person to hang out with. I wonder how I would react if I was in her shoes.To become a vampire is very cool if you ignore the negatives stuff. I mean, to never gain weight ever? Oh boy! If I got the chance, the first thing I would do is to make sure to look my best before becoming a vampire. That means getting on the treadmill and running off the fat. Shoving in all of those antioxidants to give my skin a smooth look and feel. To stay young and beautiful forever, ahhh. But it does suck if someone you knew before bumps into you twenty years later and you still look the same...

It is such a fun read all the way till the end! Don't assume there would be a lot of action just because it has vampires. Instead, you will get into the mind of a realistic girl with an unrealistic situation. I think the only thing that disappoints me a little was the ending. I was hoping that it would more exciting than it turned out to be. I shall ignore that anyway because the great news is, Mrs. Pauley is working on the sequel! I am definitely looking forward to it! Pick it up if you have the chance!

post signature

3 comments:

MySharonAnne said...

Great review. I might have passed this by but now it sounds really good to me.

Diana Dang said...

Thank you =) It is a very cute book!

Anonymous said...

I love your perspective on this book. Excellent work, even though I haven't read this book yet, you gave me a sense of intrigue . I'm definitely going to read this book after that great review.