Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Watching on Wednesday: The Uninvited

Title: The Uninvited
Type:
Movie
Age Group:
Teens +
Release Year:
2009
My Rating:
3.5/5

Anna (Emily Browning) is a teenage girl who just got released from a mental hospital. Not so long ago, she witnessed a tragedy. She could not remember the details but she saw the boathouse that her ill-mother was in blew up in front of her. From then on, she was never the same.


Coming back home, she finds out that her father is dating her mother's former nurse, Rachel, (Elizabeth Banks) and is repulsed by it.
During the nights, Anna starts seeing dead people who point out that Rachel is the murderer. Convinced that her father's girlfriend is the reason behind her mother's death, she tells her older sister Alex (Arielle Kebbel) about her visions. Alex believes her and they start rummaging through Rachel's background to see if there is anything suspicious. They come up with some gruesome information that may help them convince their father about who he is really with. But who would believe Anna when they think she is simply insane?

This movie is a remake of a 2003 South Korean film called A Tale of Two Sisters. Which is surprising because I expected it to be a remake of a Japanese one instead, seeing how many have been released up to this point.


The Uninvited wasn't a great horror movie to pay for and watch. Then again, I'm not big on scary movies so I am unsure if I'll ever give one a 5/5. (Maybe The Ring would receive it because that one scared the crap out of me. I couldn't sleep until four in the morning after watching it, trying to sing myself to sleep with a Hilary Duff song. Now whenever I hear that song, I am reminded of The Ring...) There were approximately five times where I got startled because of the monster surprises throughout the whole film. Other than that, the fear factor was not so high. I think the best part of all is the end. There was an interesting twist of course but I found there were many plot holes when I reflect back at it. A few things were left unanswered, making the movie even stranger than it seemed. If they wrapped up the loose ends, it would not have been so bad. Overall, The Uninvited had a great idea but it was not executed the best that it could be.

post signature

4 comments:

MySharonAnne said...

Japenese horror movies totally freak me out. I saw this one I forgot what it is called. The man meets a pretty girl and he thinks they are going to get together but it turns out she is a total serial killer nut. She wraps wires around his ankles and pulls them so his feet fall off!

Diana Dang said...

Gahh! Which one is that? Sounds so creepy...

Amy said...

looks creepy-but good;)
-amy

Diana Dang said...

It's good in a sense. xD