Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Res Judicata by Vicki Grant

Title: Res Judicata
Author: Vicki Grant
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 172
My Rating: 4/5

Cyril MacIntyre is back and still short as ever. His mother, Andy, is still one heck of a colourful, loud-mouthed lawyer. But this time, she brings back one very big and unexpected surprise for her dear son.

Meet Dougie Fougere (or nicknamed "Biff"). He is a deputy sheriff. And is probably one of those nicest guys around, even when he blocks your sight with his sturdy physique. The shocking thing is, he's dating Andy! Who in the right mind wants to date a woman with thick eyeliner and eats McDonalds for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Apparently Biff does! Cyril does not welcome him. Like, who is he to come in and act like he's part of their dysfunctional family?

Meanwhile, Andy takes on a case where janitor Chuck Dunkirk is convicted of murdering the rich creator of the famous whitening coffee, Gleamaccino. Not that Cyril cares in the first place but then things started to get a little fishy after Andy won her case. Chuck tried to "save" the man who wounded up dead in the process by accident but Cyril doubts it's that simple. He decides to do some research to understand what had really happened. Not to mention, as he is getting used to Biff, Andy kicks him out! Oh how this all gives him a headache! Will Cyril ever get to the bottom of the so-called "accident"? And now with Biff gone, will he ever get to have a normal dinner ever again??

When the I first started the blog, I reviewed the first book in the series, Quid Pro Quo. I absolutely adored it and it was the only novel I have actually read over and over again. When I saw its sequel in the store last week, I was like, "Omg! Ms. Grant wrote a second one???" because I never expected it. I immediately grabbed it and with not a single doubt if I should buy it or not, I walked out of Chapters happily.

I was looking forward specifically to the humour in the story. A little disappointed to say that there was not as much as there was in the last book. I still enjoyed it quite frankly. I got a pretty good laugh here and there. The ending could have been much better and to be honest, seemed a bit rushed. I recommend Quid Pro Quo and Res Judicata for those who are looking for some comic relief. You would love the way Cyril thinks. He should seriously consider becoming a comedian. I hope that there will be a third volume!

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of this series, but it sounds good.

Diana Dang said...

It's published by a Canadian press, Orca, so it's not that popular. =)

Sadako said...

This looks good; like the cover and titles!

Diana Dang said...

Hehe, you learn a bit of law in it too!