Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

Title: Eyes Like Stars
Author:
Lisa Mantchev
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages:
368
My Rating:
5/5

Bertie Shakespeare Smith has been living in the Théâtre Illuminata all of her life. She is surrounded by mischievous fairies, Shakespeare's brooding characters, and a magical stage that never rests. This is her one and only home.


When she discovers that she is going to be kicked out, she is angry and desperate. To stay, she must figure out a way to contribute to the theatre.

While she does that, air spirit Ariel wants to be released from playing his part over and over again. Bounded by The Book, he is desperate for his freedom. Attempting to persuade Bertie into helping him escape the theatre, he is refused. If no one aids him, then he will take matters into his own hands.

Can Bertie save Théâtre Illuminata in time before Ariel wrecks everything?


Starting off reading the novel, I expected myself to be confused. Why? Because the setting was of course in another world and I thought I was going to get lost, seeing how I knew nothing about theatres. Surprisingly, I did not. Instead, I was instantly drifted into an enchanting world of famous plays and characters that were full of mysteries and surprises.
I was able to keep reading without wanting to put it down. Even though not a lot happened in the beginning, the book still compelled me to continue on. Eventually it just got better and better!

The people in Eyes Like Stars were so unique that it was fun to read. I liked the playful fairies that always hung around Bertie because they were simply so cute. But the character that stood out to me the most and whom I completely loved was Ariel. He was very smooth and charming. I thought characters like him were always corny but Mantchev made him into such a three-dimensional person. I admired the fact that he was determined to grab for his freedom. Having Shakespeare's own characters there was a delightful touch. Since I have read a couple of plays for English class before, I could proudly point out to the ones I know of.

Eyes Like Stars is a bewitching tale that has whimsical characters and a voice that you will never forget. Pick up your copy today! With a cliffhanger, I am dying for its sequel!


Review ARC copy provided by
Henry Holt and Company.

post signature

7 comments:

wdebo said...

I'm soo jealous, I want to read this so badly!

Diana Dang said...

You should pick it up!

Joni said...

I just read this book my self- and I can't wait to return to Berite's world! I'd chuck this at any friend. (Or maybe gently hand it to my friend- I treat my books with a love that no other object could get from me... except maybe a dessert of some sort.)

Just read the book! :D

Diana Dang said...

Homg, I'm dying for the sequel!

And no chucking! XDD I am so protective of my books that I refuse to let anyone borrow it! If they do, I hover over them to make sure the read it no bigger than 30 degrees! XD

(Arya) Paige said...

Lucky, lucky, lucky! I want this book sooo bad!

Diana Dang said...

Haha, everyone does xD

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

Oh I just got this, I'm looking forward to reading it!