Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith

Title: Lockdown
Author: Alexander Gordon Smith
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 288
My Rating: 5/5

Alex Sawyer and his friend have a tendency to steal from other people. Hey, it's not that bad, they never get caught. When the two are tipped off that the owners of a home will be away, they get down to business. But they have no idea what awaits them...

Accused of murdering his friend, Alex is sent to the Furnace, an inescapable prison for young offenders which is known to be absolutely treacherous. Alex doesn't know why he is framed into such a position but he does know one thing, he has to get the hell out of there. And fast, before it is too late.

Madly intense, Lockdown will keep your eyes wide open and mesmerized into a world that is full of darkness and terror.

Really, I don't even know where to begin for this review! Alex is not a bad person, he just does bad things. Somehow, his actions catch up to him, sending him straight down to hell --- literally. He regrets the first time he stole money from a kid he bullied at school. If it wasn't for that very small event in his life, he wouldn't have ended up in Furnace because of repetitive stealing. He encounters enemies that are absolutely horrifying as they torture him in his wake and sleep. The only fact that is keeping him alive is the possibility of escaping this endless nightmare. You will be attached to the book, supporting and praying for Alex from the beginning to the end because you know, deep down he does not deserve his punishment.

My favourite character would have to be Donovan, Alex's cellmate. He puts on a tough facade but is really a great guy. Although he is in the Furnace for a crime he did do, you will still root for him as much as you do for Alex. Together they have a stronger bond of friendship than you can imagine.

In this riveting tale, you will be pulled into a terrifying journey that you'll never know where you'll end up at. When you think everything calms down, something else jumps out at you! Left with a cliff-hanger that literally made me feel like I was hanging from a cliff, I am definitely holding on for the sequel! Lockdown is a must read everyone should pick up!

Review ARC copy provided by Henry Holt and Company.

post signature

2 comments:

Dani. said...

Thanks for the review. I probably never would have heard of it if you had not reviewed it. Which would be a shame because it sounds intriguing. :)

AnAddictedBookReader said...

I love your review, and the book! It was so good, and I can't wait to read the sequels.