Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ninja Girls by Hosana Tanaka

Title: Ninja Girls
Mangaka: Hosana Tanaka
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Ongoing with 6 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 4/5

Raizo is a young demon with a horn on top of his head and because of his race, humans fear and shun him. Life with his deceased mother's
ihai (a mortuary tablet in honoured of deceased loved ones), Raizo does not have much to live for.

That is until he stumbles upon a body of a beautiful young woman, unconscious in the water. Out of good heart, he takes her back to his place so she will not get sick. When she wakes up, her name is given as Kagari and apparently is looking for a boy with a horn growing on top of his head. Raizo who always keeps his horn hidden is afraid to tell her that it is him whom she is searching for.

But then, Raizo gets attacked! After Kagari saves him with her secret powers, she tells him that he is the last survivor of the Katana family! Raizo is the child of the late feudal lord and no one ever told him?? That's pretty awesome, except now he has enemies going after his head! With gorgeous ninja girls to protect him, will Raizo be able to restore the fallen kingdom?

Ninja Girls delivers a fresh take of manga to the readers. Of course, there is the theme where the main guy is surrounded by beautiful women (and uh, man). But nonetheless, it is enjoyable to read about Raizo and the other characters as they fall into unexpected situations. So far, the story has not become so serious just yet. I want to know why the ninjas who are assigned to protect Raizo with their lives are doing what they are doing. Most of the time, one would not randomly sacrifice their self for another unless something had happened to them in the past that led them to such decision. I'm sure the mangaka will include their stories later on in the series (hopefully!).

What I really love the most is Raizo's mother's
ihai. It's pretty funny because although she is dead, she still lives on in the monument. Whenever Raizo says something she disagrees, the ihai will fall onto his head or hit him across the face. Speaking of Raizo's mother, I am curious about why she hid the truth from her son that he is part of the royal family. I hope that this will be cleared up in the following volumes.

I really like the art for Ninja Girls.The lines and shadings are extremely neat. The mangaka definitely knows how to draw sexy females but at the same time, civilians who look like they belong in the era. But what bothers me is the fact that one of the character, Kisarabi, is the only person who looks so awkward! I think the eyepatch she wears makes it difficult for the mangaka to draw her more propotional because every time she appears, I wish the mangaka settled for another design! What vexes me the most is that the ninjas wear so little clothing but somehow manage to keep them all on! Especially Kisarabi's! Her top is this one vest thing that never slips off! I mean, how can it cover her boobs halfway like that! Oh the world of manga and art...

Ninja Girls is a lively new manga series that manga fans should definitely take a peek of!

Review copy provided by
Del Rey.

post signature

1 comment:

Orchid said...

Sounds interesting. :)