Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker

Title: A Match Made in High School
Author: Kristin Walker
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 278
My Rating: 4/5

For the last year of high school, all seniors must participate in a program and complete it in order to graduate. What is it? Why, they must be married to each other!

Fiona couldn't get a more terrible deal. She is stuck with jerk-but-pretty-face Todd Harding who she can not stand AT ALL. While his mean girlfriend is with her one and only love! Not to mention, her BFF is with the quiet but big Johnny Mercer.

However, this marriage course isn't all just about budgeting and counselling. Fiona discovers that through this tedious year, there are things that she wouldn't have known about the people around her and herself without it.

I was a little too hyped up for this novel to find out in the end I couldn't give the 5/5 that I wanted to. Not that it wasn't a great novel, but it didn't have that full final nudge that made it all-stars. Nonetheless, it was a fun read!

I totally love the idea of students being "married" to each other so they can learn what life may be like in the future. If anything, I would love to see this concept done into manga format; it would be so much funnier to see the hilarious scenes that occurred!

There were times where I didn't like Fiona. She was obsessed with her crush, Gabe, to the point that you wanted to smack her. However, I knew it was a setup made in order for her to "grow up" towards the end of the story. Which all in all, she did. That aside, I loved how every character had a purpose to play, no matter how small their role was.

Everyone's review for this novel that I have read said there was a twist. So when things did jump at a different direction, I was already expecting it. So would the novel have been better if I did not know about this twist? Maybe. But then, maybe not. The story setup was great though, I think Walker is excellent at comedy and throwing in cute surprises.

If anything, I think this novel should be opted for a movie. Or maybe a ten episode show (maybe even less). It had all the content to make it a full-out fun film for teens! From the cliche people to random events, it could totally work on the Family Channel!

So if you are looking for a comedic but cute read, check out A Match Made in High School!

Won copy from Frenetic Reader.

post signature

2 comments:

Tahereh said...

hahah awesome!! i can't wait to read this -- thanks for the review :D :D

Anonymous said...

I got this from the library. Can't wait to start reading it.