Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Short & Simple (1)

Title: Lament
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 336
My Rating: 2/5

Sentence Summary: A prodigious harpist discovers the existence of faeries (that are trying to kill her) and falls in love with a dangerous but gorgeous guy who has his own dark secrets.

Speaking Straightly: I did not finish this book. This is where you gasp because every since I made this blog, I have finished every book I've started except for one.

Characters were extremely frustrating. After Luke met Deirdre, they both went on how much they loved each other and would die without each other... literally, after a couple of weeks. Or less. Luke being this tortured but handsome character who decided to no longer be evil because he fell in love with the protagonist made me roll my eyes. I felt their so called "relationship" to be underdeveloped and unreal. The story itself was beh for me so after awhile, I simply lost interest and could not finish the last 100 pages.

However, I think Twilight and Need by Carrie Jones fans would take a liking to this novel. The writing is not bad either. Just the characters made me want to slam my head against the floor.

~~~

Title: Pig Bride
Mangaka: KookHwa Huh & SuJin Kim
Age Group: Teens
Series is: Completed with 5 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1-3
My Rating: 4/5

Sentence Summary: Si-Joon's nightmare of being married to a pig bride at eight years is actually true when she visits him on his sixteenth birthday, declaring that they must consummate their marriage!

Speaking Straightly: A great tale regarding curses and reincarnations! Mu-Yeon, the pig bride, must have Si-Joon fall in love with her since they were lovers in their past lives. If not, then a horrible curse lay upon them!

An addicting series thus far and is dying for the last two volumes to be released. My favourite character would have to be Si-Joon's best friend, Ji-Oh. Love his personality and megane character! Highly recommend this series to manga and manhwa fans!

~~~

Title: What I Saw and How I Lied
Author: Judy Blundell
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 288
My Rating: 5/5

Sentence Summary: In post-WWII, Evie is a young girl who falls in love with an older man whose secrets destroy her life.

Speaking Straightly: A fantastic novel that evolves around the mid-20th century. The author created a great story of that era, which is quite rare in the YA fiction world. A swell contemporary read that would make the girls want to put on some lipstick, have a cigarette between their lips, and wear a daring dress.

post signature

3 comments:

Miriam said...

I think I like these short and simple reviews - I get to know exactly what you think without any sugarcoating. I want to read the 'What I saw and how I lied' and the Pig Bride manga is now in my amazon wishlist.

Liviania said...

I loved Lament! I bought What I Saw and How I Lied *ages* ago but still haven't read it. Pig Bride does sound interesting - I may pick it up.

Erica said...

I love the cover for What I Saw and How I Lied, I need to read that!