Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Soulstice by Simon Holt

Title: Soulstice
Author: Simon Holt
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 266
My Rating: 5/5

It has been a few months since Reggie discovered the existence of Vours, beings that take over people's bodies and be able to give you nightmares that last forever. Police are now searching for Quinn, the Vour that she got rid of with the help of her best friend, Aaron, and the bookstore owner, Eben.

But the problem is that Quinn is not dead. He is very well alive and wants Reggie's help. There is no way she is going to aid a Vour that tried to kill her in the past...right?

I was so happy when I finally went out and buy the sequel to The Devouring. And thankfully, I was not let down at all!

So this time, Reggie's problem is that Quinn is back and needs her help because the Vours are after him since he betrayed them. Reggie is curious about what he knows, even though being near him would make things so much worse. When I came from the last book, I did not expect for Quinn to ever appear again. I guess the author "ended" his life so nicely it's just like, "Time to move on!". I think it is a pleasant surprise though that he came back. It adds a lot more to the story and problems that Reggie must face on top of everything else.

Even though there may be a chance for it not happening, I really, really want Quinn and Reggie to be together. However, there's too much conflicts for them to ever be because 1) Quinn tried to kill her and 2) Quinn is pretty much a monster. I found there was a lot of development between the two over time when they crossed each other's paths again. I like the fact that there is something very forbidden between them and if they end up liking each other, things would get so much more interesting. I really hope something like this will occur in the last novel but I have a feeling there might not be.

I think in terms of action and plot, I prefer the first volume much more. But with the characters' relationships, I prefer Soulstice. However, this novel leaves a huge cliffhanger that left me dying for the last novel in the series! I am a little angry with how the situation ended up for Reggie but I am definitely gonna pounce when the third volumes comes out so I can finally be at peace.

The Devouring series is a must have for horror fans!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok I felt the same way between Quinn and Rgggie! And who knows, stranger things have happened :)