Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Princess Princess by Mikiyo Tsuda

Title: Princess Princess
Mangaka: Mikiyo Tsuda
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed with 5 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 4
My Rating: 3/5

At the school festival, the princesses have tons to do. However, they are in for a treat when they get to meet Mikoto's girlfriend for the first time! Not only that, but there is a new transfer student. Apparently, he is direct competition with Sakamoto-sama in order to become the student council president! What will happen?

Volume 4 fell short for me. I found the story line to be running dry. However, coming from the last volume, I was excited to find out who Mikoto's girlfriend was. But the thing was, she was a character from Tsuda's other series, The Day of Revolution, and I found myself to be slightly disappointed. I haven't read the other series yet but I do know of its synopsis. I guess in a way that it is understandable because Mikoto is a character from The Day of Revolution who the mangaka decided to use when she ran out of ideas when coming up with character concepts for Princess Princess.

Tsuda decided to add five pages extra about her and her other mangaka friend's, Eiki Eiki, post-recording report. When I'm reading my manga, I read it for the story, not the mangaka's life. I generally don't mind it if it is at a panel on the side of a page but it took up 5 good pages that could be used towards something better for the series.

There is a bonus story at the end also that is about the princesses' daily lives. Not that interesting unfortunately. A little attempted comedy here and there but it was unsatisfying.

However, I do like the costume design at the back of the manga! I love the Japanese traditional-lolita theme. Tsuda never fails to come up with cute and cool costume concepts that I really want to dress up in.

Bookmooched copy from Tania.

post signature

No comments: