Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Imposter's Daughter by Laurie Sandell

Title: The Imposter's Daughter
Author: Laurie Sandell
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 247
My Rating: 4/5

Laurie Sandell's father was always her idol. He would tell her his grand adventures about his life, from the people he met to the accomplishments he made. However, after she entered her adulthood, she started to realize that her father did not turn out to be the great man she thought he was. Through a series of life-changing events, this true-memoir is hand-drawned by the author herself, filling it with sad memories to her celebrity-enriched ones.

I received this graphic novel to review as a surprise from Hachette Book Group. I honestly didn't think I would read it right away, considering that if I don't expect the novel, I generally put it aside until one day I'm bored enough to give it a try. I guess what made me get to it faster than the norm was the fact it was a hand-drawn memoir. And by the author herself at that. That in itself was interesting enough for me to give it a start.

I guess the biggest part that I enjoyed the most about the memoir the fact that I got to see how Laurie got her job and what it is like to work for Glamour magazine. I am always interested in people and careers, especially if the career is something that are not commonly done. I liked how the author just went ahead and made a graphic novel on top of her day job. I found it to be impressive. Her style definitely has the cartoony uniqueness to it. It adds a lot to the story itself when the author took time to draw everything out, considering that she is not a graphic novelist before as her regular job.

I definitely recommend this novel to those who would like to read another person's memoir in a different view. It iss a truthful story that could be loved and understood by anyone.

Review copy provided by Hachette Book Group.

post signature

No comments: