Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Title: The Poison Study
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 409
My Rating: 5/5

Yelena is about to executed for murder. But, she is given the chance of live longer if she accepts the position of being the poison taster for Commander Ambrose. She immediately jumps at the opportunity, although any meal could be her last.

This novel is pretty popular among YA readers and it took me a long time before I joined the bandwagon. I absolutely love love love Yelena! She is the female protagonist I have been waiting to read about! She has a strong personality and knows how to think for herself. She is able to list out all of the possible outcomes for every problem she has and can narrow down to her best choice. She is able to always prepare for the worse and makes sure that she is ready if anything. I can relate to her in that sense because this is how I generally think and it is great to see a character who have the mindset like I do. Similar to myself, she does daydream but keeps herself grounded.

Poison Study is an engaging cycle of excitement, fear, and curiosity. One can imagine its fantasy setting clearly and the world that Yelena is born in. There are unexpected twists and turns that has the reader flipping through the pages even quicker. After this novel, I am now evermore so curious about poisons! I highly recommend this novel, especially for fans of the Graceling series by Kristin Cashore.

Won copy from StoryWings.
post signature

1 comment:

Nova said...

I really enjoyed this book when I read/reviewed it too :)