Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Short and Simple (6)

Title: Death by Denim
Author: Linda Gerber
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 213
My Rating: 3/5

Sentence Summary: Aphra is going to confront the people that are hunting down her and her loved ones.

Speaking Straightly: At first, I really liked this series. But then, it was the action that kept me going for the first two volumes. In all honesty, I was reading a series I wasn't too clear about because I had no idea what "sleeper cells" were (still don't) and what the characters did in the past that got them into the situation they are in now. So if you understood the beginning of the series completely, I think the ending would be better for you. I just found the first two volumes to be more enthralling because of the action scenes.

~~~

Title: Grand Guignol Orchestra
Mangaka: Kaori Yuki
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed at 5 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 5/5

Sentence Summary: The world is overrun by zombies called the Guignols and an orchestra consisting of three men goes around fighting these evil beings.

Speaking Straightly: Kaori Yuki has covered dark magic, angels, faeries, and pretty much all the other supernatural creatures you could think of. Finally, she has settled for zombies.

I love her take on zombies because she made an interesting world evolving around it (as usual with her Gothic feel). It takes place in an alternate world that mashes the Middle Ages, Victorian Era, and random items from different periods (like a car) all into one.

I'd say any Kaori Yuki fans will definitely enjoy this new series!

~~~

Title: March Story
Mangaka: Hyung Min Kim (Art) & Hyung Il Yang (Story)
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Ongoing with 3 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 5/5

Sentence Summary: In 18th century Europe, there are demons called Ill that takes over human bodies to commit horror and there are those who hunt them down.

Speaking Straightly: Amazing so far! The same artist who did Defense Devil (a series current in Japan) is working with this new story. I find the plot completely original and gripping with gorgeous detailed art. If you would like a new paranormal horror read as a manga fan, March Story is the one to pick up.
post signature

1 comment:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Your books are looking good - love the variety!