Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Friday, April 8, 2011

The Lighter Side of Life and Death by C.K. Kelly Martin

Title: The Lighter Side of Life and Death
Author: C.K. Kelly Martin
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: 240
My Rating: 4.5/5

After Mason starred in his school play, he and his friends had a celebratory party right after. Kat, who is his friend of three years, caught her boyfriend having sex with someone else during the party. Pissed, she wanted to leave and Mason felt bad so he went with her. They ended up back at his place and both lost their virginities that night.

Right after, Kat was so freaked out about what had happened decided to distance herself away from Mason. Mason was confused but there was nothing that he could do. He ends up one day bumping into Colette, a twenty-three year old woman, who changes his life forever.

This is the third novel by the Toronto author, C.K. Kelly Martin, who I have enjoyed her previous novels in the past. I have to say so far this novel is my favourite out of the three.

There is quite a bit of sexuality in this novel, compared to the last two if I recalled correctly. It explores the desires and lust of a teenage boy who is experiencing much more than someone at that age. Mason is honest to himself about what is happening and has issues in all areas of his life, like a real boy. It sucks that he is confused by Kat's actions after they slept together. However, as a girl, any reader could understand why she acted the way she did.

I think why I found this to be my favourite because it involves falling for someone older. However, not so old that the age difference is so clear. I haven't been able to read about anyone in their early twenties yet so Colette was a nice and different touch to the book.

There were definitely some family conflicts, especially with Mason and his tween step-sister. You can't help but get annoyed with her too because if you have a sibling, you understand Mason's irritations. Maybe I have been raised this way, but I hate the idea of siblings swearing at each other (unless something really bad happened and they are much older). So when Mason called her a bitch, I cringed. I try my best to censor my language around my sister because she is in grade 6 and I don't want to hear any swear words from her (unfortunately that can't be said with other kids her age these days...).

To conclude, The Lighter Side of Life and Death is a great contemporary read for anyone who would love a more realistic approach with romance compared to the general chick flicks.

Review copy received from Random House.
post signature

No comments: